Friday, August 30, 2013

Hamburg Part II

This photos are from the second part of my walk yesterday, ein angenehm Stadtbummel durch Hamburg.

My hostel was located in Sankt Pauli.  (As you might expect, what with its name being 100% Backpackers Sankt Pauli). It was an interesting neighborhood. You could almost feel the youth culture pulsing through it.  South Park Sankt Pauli seemed pretty appropriate.

Yet another thing that reminded me of Brooklyn: the chance to play oversized chess in a public park.



The park was a small one, but it had plenty of ceramic murals.



And palm tree sculptures, for that matter.


In Soviet Russia, the Simpsons watch you.
I could not resist photographing this fancy octopus.
The neighborhood park featured a plump and contented local cat.

A picture for Basho and Musashi.


Am Fischmarkt.

I thought the shape of this pedestrian bridge was really beautiful.
The name of this street is "Broad Street". There was also a "Long Street".  

I am an extremely mature individual and do not find the name of this street amusing at all.

Beatlesplatz!
And nearby, where they got their start.

And then I went back to the hostel, where I talked with some nice people from the Netherlands, France, and the USA.



3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the tour, Elani! All your photos and notes are great! I wondered if you -- like me -- get lonesome for your animals when away from home, and resort to petting anything that will sit still (like the plump cat in the park). I would've, if he'd permit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I didn't see this until just now! I do get lonesome. The worst part is, Germans don't like strangers to per their animals the way Americans do. I actually invented a term to describe the desire to illicitly pet animals-"schwarzstreicheln". It's like the term for riding public transportation without a ticket, but with "petting" instead of "riding". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I know some people here don't want strangers to touch their baby -- makes sense, because of germs. But unless your dog doesn't like it, why would you not want people to pet your dog? I suppose cats everywhere take care of their own petting/not petting likes! :-)

    ReplyDelete