Sunday, September 15, 2013

At the Rostock Zoo: Part III

I thought this fellow was fascinating, with his incredibly long arms.

The lemurs have a nice indoor house, but they also have the option to go outside, as this one did.
A mother and baby elk.  I actually go to see the baby feed, as well.
I've seen these birds at other zoos, and I always find their elegance almost shocking.
My host sister and an ostrich observe each other.
This is the petting zoo.  This goat has been stroked so much, all the orneriness came right out.  There was some good petting to be had.
The zoo had an impressive selection of antelopes. It's hard to see in this picture, but the antelope in the rear, which is a horse antelope, is absolutely huge.
Host brother wanted to know why their legs are so long.  I was surprised that he wasn't at all phased by the color.
This owl didn't seem to approve of us.
Kookabura!
I was really hoping that the zoo would have crested geckos so I could show Ronja what I have at home. But this was the only gecko I saw.
It was a bit cold today, so quite a few meerkats were snuggled under the heat lamp.
The jaguar had no time for such childish behavior.
The lions also thought it was time for a nap.
I don't know what happened here, but it frightens me.
The cheetah, on the other hand, thought it was time to be on the move.
Host family! Everyone loved petting the lamas. 
And that was our trip to the zoo! The Rostock zoo is very impressive, and I'm not just saying that because I have a smuggled pygmy marmoset on my lap right now, and later I'm going to train it to make me tea, and then we will snuggle.  The zoo was impressive on a lot of counts-overwhelmingly vast, good environments to the animals, and lots of playgrounds for kids.  Highly recommended! 




















No comments:

Post a Comment