Sunday, September 15, 2013

At the Rostock Zoo: Part I

It was a quiet Sunday morning-this Sunday morning, in fact.  I had just sent out a text to a few people asking about simple plans for the day. Suddenly, I got a call from Thomas, my host dad.  Andrea, who works at my school, was leaving for a conference in Göttingen.  To make the children feel better, he was going to take them to the zoo.  Also, the kids missed me and were sad that I didn't live with them anymore.  (Awwww.) Would I like to go?

Well, obviously.

Our visit to the zoo started with something highly exotic...a raccoon. On the bright side, it does make sense that they'd be exciting on a continent where they don't hang out in your back yard and get into your trash cans. And the German word for raccoon is "Waschbär" (Wash-bear), which is pretty adorable.
This camel was one of the first big animals we saw.  The zoo did a great job of making the animals feel incredibly close.
Ronja, my nine-year-old host sister, was very into photographing things today.  We stood next to each other and photographed things for quite a bit of the day.  
This is the beginning of a building called the Darwineum, which showcases the theory of evolution.  It confused me for quite a while, because people were using the name without explaining what it was, and "Darwineum" in German is pronounced "Dar-vin-neh-um".  I finally caught the evolution part and suddenly everything made sense.
These pictures are especially for Geoff-live horseshoe crabs! I wanted to get video, because the movement of their legs was fascinating, but it didn't quite work out.
Note for Geoff: By the way, love, these crabs were about two thirds the size of Walter! 
A leaf insect.  Sadly, I think they only had one kind.  I say, "I think", because running after the kids didn't really allow for careful inspection.
A mudskipper.  They seem like something a few million years out of their time.
Lazy lizards.
In German, this is a "desert mouse". In English, it was a something-squirrel.  Either way, adorable.












No comments:

Post a Comment