Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hiking to Heiligendamm: Part I


On Sunday, February 2, I went for a hike traveling west from Warnemünde.  I had traveled the first part of the hike before, and wasn't sure just how far I would go.  Someone had told me that Heiligendamm, the first Kurort (official resort town) in Germany, was an hour's hike away, but based on my previous hiking, I found this extremely unlikely.  So I thought I would just start hiking and see how far I got.

It was a beautiful day.  The tide was low, and the water was amazingly clear.


Through the clouds, the sky was trying to be blue, with a little bit of beautiful pink haze.

And there was something I'd never seen before: sheets of ice along the beach, many of them several inches thick.

The breakwater poles were all capped with ice.

And despite the grey and cold, many people were out walking.

Even rocks out in the water were capped with snow turned to ice.

But someone had taken the time to make a rock sculpture.

Parts of the beach were bleak and completely snowy.

Here, a temporary stream is completely frozen.
As I reached the first town along the way, (not Heiligendamm), this strange structure came into view.  In this picture, you can also see a little of how beautiful the sky was, almost like a rainbow all along the horizon.
Much more to come, including some misadventures!










No comments:

Post a Comment