Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday in Warnemünde

It was a lazy Sunday and supposed to be sunny with great wind for kiting, so I headed out to Warnemünde.
As soon as I stepped off the train, I noticed that while it had been sunny and nice in Rostock, there was something magical about the light in Warnemünde today.
It even makes seagulls look majestic.

I intended to go straight to the beach and start kiting.  But I walked down the promenade to get away from the crowds, and at the end, I noticed something new: it continued along the shore as a trail through coastal woods.
There were some incredible old trees lining the path.
And there were amazing views of the sea.
Whether it was from the hurricane or more recent high winds, trees were broken or completely down all along the trail.
Even up on the trail, sheltered a little bit by the trees, the wind was fierce.
All of the coastline is rugged. When there were no people nearby on the trail, the only sounds were the wind, the waves, and a very occaisional bird call.
Sometimes, the trail would have loops along the very edge of the cliffs.  Here, it was lined with sanddorn bushes.
In places like this, I always want to walk to the next point, and the next, and the next.
At Warnemünde, even if it's January, even if it's freezing, good wind means kiteboarders.
And when the sun came out, you could even think it was spring.
Waves, and the hint of a rainbow.
When I finally turned back to the town, I was shocked at just how many kiteboarders were braving the weather.  But the wind was pretty perfect. It was predicted to be 18 knots gusting to 30.  When I was flying my kite, it felt more like 20 and steady-easy to have a lot of fun in.  
The rainbow came back, and it brought some almost pink light with it.  I dropped my kite with the emergency line to get this picture quickly enough.  Fun fact: when the wind is blowing that strong and steady, you can relaunch a two line kite from an emergency landing.
Clouds rolled in as the sun set.  Not long after I took this picture, it started to pour, and then to hail.
But that didn't last long, and soon Warnemünde was peaceful again.
Good night, little town.  Good night, wild coast.
















No comments:

Post a Comment