Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Rügen: My first day

I'm a little late writing this, but on my fall vacation, I decided to go to Rügen.  Rügen is the biggest island in Germany (and likes to bill itself as the most beautiful).  After seeing it, I couldn't disagree.
I stayed in Binz, a cute little resort town.  It was a little like a ghost town while I was there.  You could tell how many people would be there if it was the high season, but it was pleasantly quiet.
The beach sweeps around in a wide curve.  The tree here are a beautiful hike that goes to Sellin, the next town north of Binz.  I did the hike on my second day on Rügen, and I'll post those pictures in my next post.
I thought this structure was wonderful.  It would have been a great place to watch a storm, but if it was open to the public, I didn't see how.
One of the things I loved about Rügen was that its beauty had a very restful quality. The fall folliage was wonderfully colorful.

And there were some beautiful rock sculptures.
This is the beginning of the trail to Sellin.
There were many birds.  In fact, one of the highlights of the trips was the great crane migration. But more about that later.
This couple was so adorable!
I had some sun on the first day, too.
A real toadstool! It was already knocked over when I got there.
On my first evening, I wanted to have a traditional meal, and that was exactly what "plattduutsch" (plattdeutsch) claimed to have.  I noticed only too late that they were a hotel restaurant, and they were just okay.
Amber is one of the specialties of Rügen.  It's even one of the places where people have been known to find amber! I wanted this amber hedgehog, but I couldn't justify paying so much.
And that was the first day of my trip to Rügen!  More soon...













No comments:

Post a Comment