Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wien Part II


This is the central building in the Wien Cemetery. If I remember correctly, it's the biggest cemetery in Europe.

A grave I thought was especially beautiful.
In front of Schloss Belvedere. It was my favorite castle in Wien, not least because it houses a beautiful art museum. Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss" is the highlight of the collection. I had seen reproductions of it about a thousand times, but seeing the real thing was very moving.
Here's the castle from a distance. The roofs symbolize the tents of the Turks who laid siege to Wien. Prinz Eugene, builder of Schloss Belvedere, began his rise to amazing fortune by defeating them. Interestingly, he was hunchbacked and a Frenchman. He offered his services first to the Sun King, but was turned down for not being pretty enough. Prinz Eugene went next to the Austrian Emperor, who care more that he was a brilliant tactician than that he wouldn't win any beauty contests.
The Wien Ferris wheel. When I make my post on Paris, there will be yet another Ferris wheel.
In short: Wien/Vienna is beautiful, interesting, and amazingly cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment