Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Hiking

For Easter Day, I decided to go hiking in the Rostocker Heide.  To get there, I took the train to Warnemünde, the ferry from Warnemünde to Höhe Dune, and a bus from Höhe Dune to Markgrafenheide, which touches the woods.  This picture was taken from the ferry, looking at a much bigger ferry!
While waiting for my bus in Höhe Dune, I wandered in the grounds of the exclusive conference center.  That's where I saw autonomous lawn mowers.  (I posted a video of them on Facebook.)  I thought it was interesting to see what the lawn looks like when they're half way done.
The Heide borders on a few moors-in fact, the whole area is kind of swampy.  Here's the paddleboat that goes between Warnemünde and Markgrafenheide.
This part of the moor had higher areas with trees.  It felt strange, but beautiful.
And of course, there were lots of frogs.  This little guy was completely indifferent to my presence.
I even did this to see if he would move.  He didn't.  I even plucked a blade of grass and poked him with  it, and he still didn't move.  Can frogs meditate?
Once I was in the forest itself, I saw other creatures.  This squirrel was the brightest red, with the biggest ear tufts!
The forest turned swampy in some places.
There was pennyroyal growing in it.  It smelled wonderful.
And flowers were blooming, on trees and on the ground.









No comments:

Post a Comment